I've decided on impulse to start a new series entitled "WHAT TO DO" on the personal tab of my blog. To start off? What to do when you're in a creative rut (how fitting).
Last month, I unofficially made a goal for myself to stay consistent in posting content: a video every Monday and a blog post every Thursday. I lasted about 2.5 weeks. This failure is probably due to the fact that besides putting up stuff onto the web every week, I am also a full-time college student, work part-time, have two internships and lead two orgs. Or ya know, I could just be making excuses.
In any case, I haven't had too much time nor opportunity to think about all the creative ways I can spruce up the part of my life I like to share with you all both on YouTube and on this blog. I never wanted, nor will I ever want, what I do online to become a burden but sometimes, especially when I get busy with academic work, it kind of does. That's when I like to stop, breathe and try to come up with fresh creative ideas.
Here's a couple of things I personally like to do when I'm in a creative rut...
- TAKE A BREAK: Set a timer, watch the clock, and do whatever it takes to give yourself at least an hour to just relax. Sit on the couch or lay in your bed and let your mind wander. Close your eyes if you have to. Practice breathing.
- LOOK AT PRETTY PICTURES: Whether it's insta-stalking your ultimate aesthetic-crush or scrolling endlessly on Pinterest or Tumblr, find an account (or hashtag) that you know fits your style. I like to look through the interior design tag on Pinterest or scroll through the #thatsdarling hashtag on Instagram for some inspiration.
- GET GROOVIN: Create a playlist or search through ones on Spotify and just listen. You'd be surprised at how much simply listening to the lyrics of a song or breaking down a melody can get you thinking differently. I always follow New Music charts on Spotify to hear up & coming artists (or new releases from singers I love). Here, here, and here are three songs I've been jamming out to lately.
- COLLABORATE: Look, you're not the only person trying to get creative out there. Grab a friend and treat him/her out to coffee or dessert and just talk. Plan a photoadventure or cooking day with a couple friends to get that burst of creativity. Two heads (or more) are better than one.
- CLEAN YOUR SPACE: I've never claimed to be a neat freak but organizing my space (bedroom, table, etc) always feels like I'm also organizing my mind. Something about having a clean surface just makes me extra motivated to start any task.
- READ, WATCH, LEARN: I like to take time almost every day to catch up on my favorite Youtubers and bloggers. These people ooze creativity so it doesn't take that much for me to feel inspired. Don't just watch to watch and read to read. Take note of stylistic editing and key words that actually make you go, "Oh, well that was interesting."
- GOOGLE "THINGS TO DO WHEN YOU'RE IN A CREATIVE RUT": This one pretty much speaks for itself. On a more serious note: do it. There's a bunch of quotes and steps from people who make a living off of being creative so why not take a few notes from them while you're at it.
Voila! Feeling creative already? I hope this somehow got you inspired to use the right (or is it left) side of your brain more often. As the company Nike always says, "JUST DO IT."